Educational Visits to Over Farm
Over Farm, a working fruit and vegetable farm in Gloucester with a dedicated classroom, offers visits to schools from Gloucestershire and beyond. Trips to Over Farm enable children to connect to their environment and understand more about the food they eat. Our educational visits are suitable for children aged 2 to 12.
A visit to the farm helps promote pupils’ understanding of:
- Where food comes from
- Farming and food production
- Healthy eating
- Environmental and sustainability issues including food miles
- Wildlife and conservation
Over Farm’s educational visits consist of a programme of fun, hands-on activities led by an experienced and qualified teacher. Activities are adapted to suit the age of the children and can be focused around a specific curriculum topic.
Trips are tailored around individual schools but you can expect the following on a typical day visit to Over Farm:
- Short introductory talk in the cow byre classroom
- A multi-sensory learning walk around the farm where children have the opportunity to pick and taste the crops
- Lunch in the classroom or courtyard (lunch not included)
- ‘Ask the farmer’ question and answer session
- A walk to the farm shop via the animals – Over Farm has chickens, ostriches, goats, pigs, donkeys and a pony
- Time to feed and stroke the donkeys and goats (under supervision)
- Activities at the farm shop, depending on the childrens’ age, these can include identifying fruit and vegetables and recording food miles
- A tractor trailer ride back to the classroom, to end the day
- Take home a selection of seasonal farm grown produce which can be used for drawing or cooking back at school/college
We cater for all ages from pre-school to secondary school, including special schools, as well as Brownie and Cub groups. Visits can be arranged year-round at the farm but please remember that the winter months of December, January and February can be very cold on the farm. June and October are two of our most popular months to visit, so tend to get booked really quickly. We recommend booking as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please take a look at our produce timeline as a guide to what fruit and vegetables will be in season throughout the year.
Whole day: £5.50 +VAT per pupil
Half day: £4.00 +VAT per pupil
Supervising adults are free
Subsidised visits are available for some schools – please get in touch for more information.
How to Book
For more information and to book please call our resident teacher, Alyson Chilvers on 01452 341510 or complete our web form.