Convert those stubborn spout haters and try something different this year by preparing a delicious gratin with the ultimate cheesy, crispy topping.
- 600g Brussel sprouts
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 shallots
- 50g plain flour
- 750ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 200g grated mature cheddar
- 60g chopped hazelnuts
- Prepare the sprouts by trimming and cutting them in half. Cook for 3 minutes in boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°c (200°c fan).
- Put the oil and butter into a pan on a low heat. Continuously stir the mixture and until the butter is foaming.
- Finely chop the shallots and add them to the mixture. Stir regularly until softened.
- Add the flour to the pan and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Gradually add the milk, whisking vigorously until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Put the pan back on the heat for 2 minutes, continuing to whisk.
- Add the cream, mustard, and cheddar to the mixture, still whisking to maintain that smooth creamy sauce.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl and stir in the hazelnuts.
- Tip if the sprouts into an ovenproof dish and pour in the creamy sauce. Top with the breadcrumb mixture and sprinkle an extra 50g of mature cheddar over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.