Can you think of anything more wholesome and warming on a chilly autumn day than a steaming bowl of vegetable soup? Even better if all the yummy veggies are locally sourced right!?
We’ve put together a little recipe and you can find all the ingredients in the farm shop. Don’t forget to pick up a French stick for dunking.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 finely chopped stalk of celery
- 2 peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 peeled and chopped parsnips
- 1 grated clove of garlic
- 2 peeled and cubed potatoes, we have Melody and Wilja varieties in store
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 litre of good quality vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas
- 50ml milk
- 3 teaspoons of corn flour
- Add the oil to a pan followed by the onion, carrot and celery and allow to sweat down for 5 minutes before adding the garlic and cooking for another minute.
- Next add the potatoes, parsnips, thyme and stock. Stir well and add the bay leaf then season well. Bring to the boil and reduce to a shimmer.
- Keep this rolling until the potatoes are soft, this should take around 15 minutes. Have a taste and more seasoning if required then add the peas.
- Mix the milk and corn flour separately before pouring in the soup. Bring the whole thing to the boil again stirring constantly.
- You should now have a thick and creamy soup. Serve right away with bread and butter.