Pumpkin pie is an American favourite and a delicious recipe to make during autumn. Why not come down to the pumpkin field at Over Farm and pick your own? There’s nothing quite like selecting the perfect pumpkin and adding it to a recipe.
For the filling you will need:
180g caster sugar
1-2 tsps ground cinnamon
½ tsp of ground ginger
½ tsp of mixed spice
200ml of cream
For the pastry you will need:
A 23cm x 23cm x 5cm pie dish
200g plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
1sp ground cinnamon (optional, add for extra spice!)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°c (fan 200°c)
2. Dice the pumpkin and place it in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the pumpkin and leave to cool.
3. Mix the flour and cinnamon together in a bowl. Rub in the butter, then add in the icing sugar.
4. Slowly pour a small amount of water into the bowl and stir until a stiff dough is formed. Be careful not to add too much, around 35ml should do.
5. Roll out the dough until it is big enough to line a 23cm x 23cm x 5cm pie dish. Move the pastry into the bowl, pinching around the edges.
6. Trim off any excess pastry, this will be used for decoration later. Chill the pastry in the dish in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
7. Once chilled, line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 8 minutes, then remove the foil and beans and put back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
8. Turn the oven down to around 150°c (fan 130°c).
9. Add the pumpkin and other ingredients needed for the filling into a bowl and mix well. Once thoroughly mixed, add to the pastry case and put in the oven for an hour or until the filling is set.
10. Remove from the oven once the filling is set and top with whisked cream.
11. Topping with a sprinkling of orange zest is a lovely way to add some decoration before serving.
We’re looking forward to seeing you all during October at Pick Your Own, book quickly as timeslots are filling up fast! We’d love to see you pumpkin pies if you give this recipe a go, be sure to tag us on Facebook and Instagram.