Our famous strawberry jam recipe
It’s the perfect time of year for jam making, PYO season is coming to an end and there are lots of ripe strawberries waiting to be picked. Fancy a go? Here’s the recipe we use at Over Farm Market to make our famous jam.
How To: Our Strawberry Jam
- Use a knife to cut a cone into the top of each strawberry and remove the stem. If you have any strawberries that are particularly big, cut them in half.
- Place the strawberries into a saucepan, stir and heat them for a few minutes. Then, add the sugar and dissolve gradually over a low heat.
- When the sugar is fully dissolved and the liquid is clear, boil steadily for 6 minutes or until the jam reaches its setting temperature (105°c). We use a thermometer to check this but if you don’t have one, spoon some jam onto a cold saucer and wait 30 seconds. If the jam is ready it will wrinkle when you push it gently, if it floods the gap boil for another 2 minutes.
- Use a ladle to remove any scum on the top of your jam and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into jars and add a wax lid to prevent mildew from forming. Seal the jar with a lid or cellophane and an elastic band.
The jam can be stored for up to a year if kept somewhere cool and dry, enjoy!
If you’d like to pick your own strawberries, visit our PYO page for more details.