It’s the perfect time of year for jam making, PYO season is coming to an end and there are lots of ripe strawberries waiting to be picked. Fancy a go? Here’s the recipe we use at Over Farm Market to make our famous jam.
How To: Our Strawberry Jam
- Use a knife to cut a cone into the top of each strawberry and remove the stem. If you have any strawberries that are particularly big, cut them in half.
- Place the strawberries into a saucepan, stir and heat them for a few minutes. Then, add the sugar and dissolve gradually over a low heat.
- When the sugar is fully dissolved and the liquid is clear, boil steadily for 6 minutes or until the jam reaches its setting temperature (105°c). We use a thermometer to check this but if you don’t have one, spoon some jam onto a cold saucer and wait 30 seconds. If the jam is ready it will wrinkle when you push it gently, if it floods the gap boil for another 2 minutes.
- Use a ladle to remove any scum on the top of your jam and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into jars and add a wax lid to prevent mildew from forming. Seal the jar with a lid or cellophane and an elastic band.
The jam can be stored for up to a year if kept somewhere cool and dry, enjoy!
If you’d like to pick your own strawberries, visit our PYO page for more details.